HMD Global is one those companies which are shipping faster software updates. With regular monthly security patches, the company actually stands out. then it won’t be wrong.
We had seen Nokia 8 with Android’s latest software build of Oreo 8.1 till now. But now the company has started rolling out the first public build of Oreo 8.1 software update to Nokia 6 and Nokia 5. The update will phase out to devices regionally or based on their models. We have also received the update on Nokia 6 smartphone in Pakistan.
HMD Global launched the first trio – Nokia 3, Nokia 5, and the Nokia 6 last year running Android operating system. The company launched the flagship Nokia 8 and the low-end Nokia 2 later the year. It has now launched its four new devices at MWC 2018. These were Nokia 6 (2018), the Nokia 7 Plus, the flagship Nokia 8 Sirocco, and entry-level Nokia 1.
While Nokia 8 had already received the latest software update, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6 become the next to receive Android Oreo 8.1 software update.
This update brings some special visual changes. Android 8.1 Oreo software update on Nokia 6 jumps from the build 5.22A to 5.580. While Nokia 6 does not reveal any major features, fixes and improvements that come bundled with Android 8.1.
Nokia 5 & Nokia 6 – Android 8.1 Oreo Features
There some visual updates in Android 8.1 Oreo – Nokia 6 build v5.580 .
- Battery Saving Navigation Buttons
- Revamped Power Menu
- New Settings Menu
- Bluetooth Battery Percentage
- Update Google Security Patch 2018-03
List of features, fixes and improvements (not disclosed by HMD Global)
- Applications are restricted push one notification chime per second. The notifications can be muted as well.
- System shows Wi-Fi signal strength and speed before connecting
- The feature “Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep” has been removed. System will keep the Wi-Fi always on when asleep.
- The top status and drop-down bar will change UI to dark or light theme depending on the wallpaper you choose.
- Phone Setup reminder – if you prefer to skip first start setup, the system will remind you to setup periodically.
- Reduces Inactive App’s cache-size on boot-up when phone is running short of storage.
- Android Easter Egg is now changed to Oreo cookie, when you multi-tap “About” in settings
How to Update Nokia 5 or Nokia 6 to Android 8.1 Oreo?
If you have a Nokia 6 smartphone, you don’t need to do anything to get the software update. It’s an over-the-air (OTA) update roll-out that will reach you automatically if you are connected. However, you can go through Settings > System > System Update and tap “check for update”. Do keep in mind that not everyone of you may receive the update as the roll-out is based on phases. So you may need to wait for a while before it’s available to your device.