Following the flagship Nokia 8, the mid-range Nokia 5 and Nokia 6 have also started receiving the Android 8.1 Oreo software update. The new software update brings some visual changes to the system including a new better looking power menu. Additionally there are some other fixes, features and improvements as well.
Like always, this public release of software update is not roll-out-at-once and may take a few days to reach all the targeted devices globally. If you have not received the update, you can download the official OTA update file in an unmodified ZIP package. If you don’t want to wait, you can download the file that 875.1 MB and flash manually on your Nokia 6. You should download it via WiFi connection to prevent any data charges.
Nokia 6 – Android 8.1 Oreo Features
There some visual updates in Android 8.1 Oreo – Nokia 6 build v5.580 .
- Battery Saving Navigation Buttons
- Revamped Power Menu
- New Settings Menu
- Bluetooth Battery Percentage
- Update Google Security Patch 2018-03
List of features, fixes and improvements (not disclosed by HMD Global)
- Applications are restricted push one notification chime per second. The notifications can be muted as well.
- System shows Wi-Fi signal strength and speed before connecting
- The feature “Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep” has been removed. System will keep the Wi-Fi always on when asleep.
- The top status and drop-down bar will change UI to dark or light theme depending on the wallpaper you choose.
- Phone Setup reminder – if you prefer to skip first start setup, the system will remind you to setup periodically.
- Reduces Inactive App’s cache-size on boot-up when phone is running short of storage.
- Android Easter Egg is now changed to Oreo cookie, when you multi-tap “About” in settings
Download Android 8.1 Oreo OTA update package for Nokia 6
For your ease, we have uploaded the update package without any modification (but the name change for sure) so you can download and try on your Nokia 6 devices.
Note: The OTA update was extracted from model TA-1021 (Pakistan) and is intended to be used with the exact model. You can try this update on other models of Nokia 6, however, we won’t recommend you do that. If you want to try, try on your own risk.
Download Link: Nokia6 TA-1021 Android 8.1 Oreo v5.580 OTA Update.zip (Security Patch 2018-03)
How to install OTA Update Manually?
OTA updates can be applied manually to the phone, provided that you have not modified the software. Make sure, your phone is not rooted, doesn’t have a customized ROM and is exactly running on a stock firmware. If so, then you can proceed with any of the following two methods via stock recovery.
- Apply update from ADB
- Apply update from sdcard/phone storage (preferred)
Use any of the methods above on your own risk. As these flashing methods are not usually recommended by the manufacturers, we don’t push you to do that. Still if you want to try, we can advise you to protect from bigger loss.
- Only proceed with manual flashing if you really know what you are doing.
- Try searching the web to find any consequences before your perform manual flashing. Most of the times, you find best answer to know if you really want to manual flash or not.
- If you find any issues with people flashing their devices on the web, you should prepare for a after-damage situation before you stuck with a damaged device.
- Make sure to take full backup of your data before manual flashing/updating.
If you have any questions regarding the methods, you can always ask in the comments below.